What’s the opportunity?
The Benefits Manager provides direction to and management of the Company’s health & welfare benefits plans and programs. Serves as a strategic partner with Associate Corporate Vice President – Total Rewards on related business strategy.
What will I be doing?
To be successful in this position the Benefits Manager will already have experience building and running a Benefits Department. You will be managing day-to-day operations of benefits department and is responsible for development of benefits staff.
Job Duties for the Benefits Manager will include but not be limited to the following:
- Analyzes Company health & welfare benefits programs and policies, government regulations affecting benefits, competitive trends in benefits, and agreements with labor unions, in order to comply with legal requirements and to establish competitive benefits designed to attract, retain, and motivate employees.
- Directs and oversees benefit administration in both a co-sourced and outsourced environment. Has the ability to identify, design and implement processing efficiencies as needed.
- Creates and develops strong performing teams. Has the ability to coach and motivate individuals and team members to achieve high performance.
- Directs and oversees annual benefit plan compliance audits and regulatory filings. Serves as subject matter source and expert in relation to the Company’s financial audit, other information requests, and litigation support.
- Provides direction for benefit plan rate negotiations, renewals, additions and terminations in accord with parameters and policies established by senior management.
- In accordance with Company branding standards, directs the drafting, production, and distribution of compliance documents including Summary Plan Descriptions, administrative guides, enrollment forms, and other such materials. Utilizes electronic formats and distribution methods where feasible.
- Analyzes and makes recommendations to Associate Corporate Vice President –Total Rewards regarding benefits programs of acquired companies. Plans and carries out integration of such programs and related data management into the Company’s standard programs and systems.
What skills do I need?
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, Master’s degree a plus
- 15 years of exempt-level benefits experience, including 5 or more years of management experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to perform the essential functions of the job, as determined by the Company.
- 2 years of Canadian Benefits
- Experience in:
- developing, expanding and maximizing team performance
- A large multi-state service or retail environment preferred. North America (US – Canada) experience preferred.
- co-sourced and fully outsourced benefits administration environment
- Professional certifications such as Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) or similar certification preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of benefit plans and the regulatory environment including the Affordable Care Act (ACA), and of practices related to vendor management, broker/insurer relationships, cost control, and compliance
We’d also like you to have
- Skill in:
- Analyzing financial, claims and other data and developing sound recommendations for management decision-making
- Writing reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals in a clear and concise manner
- Effectively presenting information to and responding to questions from internal customers and external parties such as regulatory authorities
- Managing, developing and motivating staff including professional and administrative personnel.
- Clear, concise and persuasive oral and written communication
- Demonstrated proficiency in use of standard office productivity software including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database applications.
- Excellent planning, organization, and project management skills.
- Strong customer service and results orientation.
- Ability to:
- Interact effectively at all levels of the organization and across diverse cultures.
- Be an effective team leader and member and to handle project assignments responsibly.
- Adapt to changes in the external environment and organization
- Carry out multiple assignments concurrently.
In addition to playing a meaningful role in the client’s Benefits Department, you’ll receive:
This is a direct hire position in the Conejo Valley area. This client provides a very competitive compensation and extremely generous benefits package.
This client offers a comprehensive suite of employee benefits and an outstanding work environment. They are an equal opportunity employer and provide equal opportunity to all applicants for all positions without regard to race/ethnicity, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender, gender identity/ expression, sexual orientation, marital/prenatal status, pregnancy/childbirth or related conditions, religion, creed, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any protected status by local, state or federal law.