Editorial Development Manager
The Editorial Development Manager will facilitate the day to day functions of the Editorial Development Department under the supervision of the department executive staff.
Job Description (including but not limited to the following):
- Schedule and run bimonthly CL/CM meetings with editorial/marketing team;
- Keep editorial on track with overall scheduling/project management; own spreadsheet with project status updates
- The Editorial Development Managers serves as go-between with art/production/editorial on overarching issues/problems that arise (process, scheduling, or otherwise);
- set up interdepartmental coordination meetings as needed (troubleshooting meetings to address issues that arise)
Manage CL & CM book design process
- Set up and facilitate title/cover and interior brainstorming meetings with editorial.
- Create design memos for new designs and/or markup previous designs with notes (for adaptations).
- Serve as point person between editorial and design when going back and forth to communicate feedback and review/approve the design
- Serve as go-between with authors on design-related issues when needed.
- Communicate with manufacturing regarding any design-related special treatments/costs.
- Serve go-between with manufacturing and production to implement new product types:
- Get specs for new product types from editorial/marketing
- Work with manufacturing to get quotes for new product types
- Create BPEs in SMART and/or Excel spreadsheets outside of SMART, as needed, to look at profitability of new product types
- Work with production on planning workflow/timeline on new product types
- Remind editors of deadlines for submission of CSM materials (provide editor with the CSM cheat sheet form to fill out)
- Input all information into their internal database, SMART; create BPE based on a designed formula cheat sheet
- Ask questions and chase in missing material as needed
- Send information for the agenda
- Collate proposals, send to editor for review as requested and make any necessary changes and adjustments
- Post to Sharepoint and OneNote and send link with final materials to editor
- Legal issues
- Work with legal on any complex/unusual legal issues that require adapting our standard templates
- Frontlist updates
- Peer Reviews– assist EA with coordination of peer review process (as needed, if overflow)
- Development – on select books, do a light read through/developmental edit and provide comments/track changes/directions on particular elements of the MS as instructed by editor
Additional Duties as required:
- Photo research– provide photo research on select projects—both to find new images for chapter openers/interiors and/or to find replacements for problematic images
- Ensure we have video covered in our book contracts if there will be associated video;
- direct EA to create video amendments as needed;
- work with Legal in cases where there are special terms regarding the video permissions/usage
- Set up and facilitate video launch meetings prior to transmittal for books that have a video component
- Provide support on video editing projects as assigned – create video proposal for CSM, video plan for shoot, edit and review all rounds of video working in conjunction with video team
- Ensure production has information for video – QR codes, captions, video list
- Assist EA with transmittal prep as needed
- Work to ensure that design plans (cover and interior) and photo research is in place before transmittal
- Work to ensure that companion website plans are in place at transmittal and that a companion website TOC is included at transmittal
- Provide EA with any special instructions to be included in the “notes to the PE”
- Review the MS files, SMART, and “notes to the PE” prior to transmittal and make any adjustments/additions/edits as needed
- On select transmittals, handle all MS prep and SMART entry to relieve EA as needed
- Review proofs from editors as requested
- Provide a close review of sample and/or preview pages to ensure that design has been correctly interpreted and that there are no elements missing from the sample that will need design attention
- Provide an overall review and markup—with particular attention to design, photos, formatting, length issues, etc—or review specific elements as requested by the editor.
- Review OBCs as requested by editor
- The Editorial Development Manager ensures production has directions for any elements for the companion site that need to be pulled from the book (companion site TOC plus any special instructions about formatting/labeling)
- Provide production with directions about copy editing/proofreading/typesetting additional materials that do not appear in the book but that will be on the site
- Work with authors and/or freelancers, as needed, to chase in additional companion site materials that were not in at the time of transmittal and will not go through production. Proofread and format these materials as needed
- Once files are supplied from production and/or in from the author/freelancer, follow the companion website creation instructions to request a new companion site (post request details and upload materials to the FTP site)
- Once draft site has been created, review the site to ensure all information looks correct and check links for all assets
- Submit any requested changes and review additional rounds
- Approve site and request that it be set to live
- Work with OPT (another team), CL, and back office (legal, finance) on the editorial aspects of new digital/online products, as needed. Includes contract issues, development, and production (i.e., involvement with PDRC-related contracts, transmittal prep, review of copyedited and proofread files, etc).
Skills and Requirements:
- Two to three years’ experience in editorial/production position performing similar tasks.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong management skills
- Finally, college experience is helpful but a degree is not required
This is a four to six month temporary position located in the Conejo Valley Area. Please call for additional information.
Royal Staffing Services will consider for employment qualified Applicants with Criminal Histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.