The primary duties of the Staff Accountant include account analysis, responsibility for internal financial statements, account reconciliations and handling the majority of the monthly accounting functions including preparation and posting of journal. This position requires a solid accounting foundation with a good understanding of GAAP.
Job Description (including but not limited to the following):
- Prepare journal entries and review/approve and post journal entries prepared by accounting clerks. This includes the review and posting of miscellaneous cash receipt batches, accounts payable entries, payroll and 403b remittances.
- Coordinate month-end accounting of the tuition billing and payment activity using the Smart Tuition system. This includes but is not limited to the delegation and review of or preparation of data and posting of billing, tuition remittance, in school payments and revenue recognition journal entries. It also includes reconciliation of SMART AR billing reports vs AR general ledger balance and research and analysis of issues and discrepancies as necessary.
- Review and post all Raiser’s Edge (“RE” fundraising module) monthly transactions and reconcile or review/approve the reconciliation to the general ledger. Work with the Advancement department staff to ensure consistency between RE and GL. Responsible for the reconciliation of RE vs GL on a quarterly basis.
- Prepare or coordinate the reconciliation of all bank accounts on a monthly basis including downloading of monthly credit card payment receipts from several sources and reconciling to credit card remittances received in US Bank General account.
- True-up and reconcile all investment accounts quarterly and update investment schedules.
Reporting & Analysis
- Review and monitor general ledger accounts/financial statements and perform account analysis and account reconciliation on a monthly and quarterly basis or as determined necessary.
- Create and maintain monthly financial reports and process each month/quarter as appropriate. This includes the report preparation and distribution of budget reports to budget managers on a monthly basis and researching/resolving issues and/or questions from budget managers, Controller or VP-Finance.
- Assist in creating and documenting accounting policies and procedures and related updates.
- Be liaison with Parent Association (Booster club) & OPAS treasurers. This includes distribution of monthly bank reconciliation and general ledger reports as well as research and analysis of any issues or questions from each of the treasurers.
Audit, Banking/Cash & other miscellaneous tasks
- Assist the Advancement department with “back office” functions of the annual audit, golf tournament and other fundraisers as appropriate.
- Prepare weekly cash flow statement to be distributed to COO/CFO, VP Finance & Accounting and Controller.
- Prepare weekly café sales remittance to café food service vendor Bevaris.
- Back-up to Controller in monitoring banking activity including positive pay exceptions. Monitoring of cash position on a daily basis as well as initiating wire transfers and transferring of funds between accounts. Cross-train with other functions as requested.
- Coordinating the PCI compliance (credit card industry fraud prevention) measures to ensure proper procedures and documentation are in place.
- Assist in preparation of schedules for annual financial audit as well as
- Assist with special projects and other duties as assigned by management.
Skills and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent
- Minimum of 3-5 years of work experience as a Staff Accountant or similar, having performed a variety of financial accounting duties
- Specific experience should include high volume bank account reconciliation
- Intermediate to strong Microsoft Excel and Word skills
- good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to learn new systems/processes quickly and handle multiple duties/shift priorities as needed
- Blackbaud system (specifically Raiser’s Edge) is a plus
- Experience at a private school or non-profit organization
- Able to work in an office environment for at least 8 hours per day
- Must be able to lift (e.g. storage boxes or other) of at least 30 pounds.
This position located in the Conejo Valley area. The annual salary is $68k. Please call for additional details. References and background check will be required.
Job Ref #: 4440
Location: Conejo Valley , CA
Royal Staffing Services will consider for employment qualified Applicants with Criminal Histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.